Monday, June 6, 2011

Lesson 1- Organize!

The most important advice I can give you is to get organized! Have you ever been in a grocery store aisle and the people in front of you have an envelope full of coupons and each time they take a step they dig, dig some more and dig some more and five minutes later they pull out the one coupon?

Yea, me too. Annoying right? Don't be that person! There are many ways to get started. If you decide to use envelopes there are many ways to organize yourself. You can paper clip each section that you have such as snacks, health and beauty, baby, cereal, frozen.... that way when you are ready to use a coupon finding the item will be much easier. Or find what is in each aisle at your local store and paper clip your coupons that way or use separate envelopes for each section.

When I began using coupons I was that annoying person who would dig and dig and after a few weeks (about 3 weeks) worth of coupons I ended up with about 4 envelopes... it took me over 2 hours to do a small grocery shop. (ugh, I know.)

Mistakes I made as I began: Not being organized, only clipping what I thought I needed, finding deals on websites that ended up being regional only and not watching the register as I just handed over my coupons. (FYI not a great idea to just hand them over without paying attention.)

Currently I have a 2.5 inch binder (like a trapper keeper from elementary). In my binder I have dividers to separate each type of coupon and the sheets I place my coupons in are made to hold baseball cards. That way I can place all of my like coupons in one sleeve (I think I can place 8-10 in one card slot) also that makes it easier to check the expiration dates of each coupon.

No comments:

Post a Comment